Pin Care Post-Operative Instructions
Supplies you will need:
- New box of Q-tips
- New bottle of hydrogen peroxide
- Sterile container (we can provide you with this container) or a small jar that has gone through the dishwasher.
- Normal saline (or tap water if approved by your surgeon)
- Mix equal parts of peroxide and normal saline (tap water) in the designated container (50/50). This is good for 24 hours. Make a fresh batch daily.
- If someone else is doing your pin care, they need to wash their hands prior to starting. Gloves may be used but are not necessary at home. If you are doing your own pin care, wash the non-operative hand prior to starting.
- Dip a clean q-tip into this solution once (no double dipping as this will contaminate the solution). Initially you will need about 4 q-tips per pin. This will decrease the further out you are from surgery.
- Start immediately around the pin site and work your way out (so you are moving germs away from the pin).
- Do this twice daily.
- Do not apply any additional products to your pin sites unless instructed to by your provider.
- You will be required to do pin care daily (or more often if instructed) until your pin(s) are removed.
- Call clinic at 714-527-2641 or 949-335-4804 with any questions regarding your pins or pin care or if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Purulent or foul smelling drainage
- Increased pain at pin site (s)
- Increased redness at pin site (s)
- Fever over 100.4F